Featured Competency: Persuasive Communications
What does it mean it mean to be persuasive? It means moving people to action. It means having an impact with your communications. It means getting ideas across and making a difference.
Defining it as a competency means: The ability to plan and deliver oral and written communications that are impactful and persuasive with their intended audiences.
In your organization the key behaviors associated with Persuasive Communications would include:
- Identifies and presents information or data that will have a strong effect on others
- Selects language and examples tailored to the level and experience of the audience
- Selects stories, analogies, or examples to illustrate a point
- Creates graphics, overheads, or slides that display information clearly and with high impact
- Presents several different arguments in support of a position
Why is this competency important to your organizational success?
Persuasive Communication is important for professionals in sales and marketing. It is also important for leaders, who need to gain support for a new vision of the organization, for an operational plan, and for changes in structure and work processes. This competency is also important for anyone who needs to gain others’ support for initiatives.
Interested in developing this behavior in your organization?
This competency involves developing two skills. The first of these is designing and developing communications that will have a persuasive impact. This skill also requires thinking about and anticipating the impact of various communication strategies. Two kinds of information can be used to achieve a persuasive impact:
- Identifying and highlighting arguments or data that are logically compelling; and
- Identifying and highlighting arguments or data that address specific interests, concerns or fears of the audience.
An excellent way to enhance your ability to design and develop persuasive communications is to work closely with someone who is skilled in this ability. Books and courses on presentation skills can also be helpful.
The second skill involved in Persuasive Communication is presentation delivery. A course in presentation skills is likely to be especially helpful, because it combines specific instruction with practice and feedback. There are also books, video’s and self-study courses to develop presentation skills.
Call a senior consultant with Ember Carriers at (513) 984-9333 for a free strategy session consultation to learn how you can FUEL your workplace and develop key competencies in your companies for future success.